MEET OUR COACHES
MEN'S HEAD COACH - Stefan Koch
Coach Stefan began his rowing career at JEB Stuart, and also rowed at the University of Pennsylvania. He has enjoyed collegiate coaching success at GMU and Loyola, as well as in his high school coaching stints for Robinson and Mount Baker (outside of Seattle). Over the years, his teams have won numerous medals in state and national competitions.
The Oakton Varsity Men’s team has doubled in size in Stefan's time at the helm, and the 2017 team was one of the most successful in our 15-year history, winning a gold and two silvers at the Virginia State championships. He is certified by USRowing as a Level III coach, and also works as a substitute teacher for FCPS. Stefan is an assistant coach for Resilient Rowing.
WOMEN'S HEAD COACH - James Augone
Coach James began rowing at Iona College and fell in love with the sport in addition to his passion for hockey and football. He started his coaching career at Langley, and joined Oakton after three years as Wakefield's Head Coach. His teams at Wakefield and at Holton Arms medaled at the state and national levels, and Wakefield won the Girls Division II Points trophy in 2017. Additionally all Wakefield Varsity boats qualified for the '17 SRAA National Regatta, with several placing in the top 5.
James is an assistant coach for D.C. Strokes on the Anacostia, and in addition to coaching crew, he enjoys spending time with his wife Kimberly and his son Brayden, and playing golf.
— Assistant Coaches —
- Rowed for GMU Varsity 2010-2013, graduated 2014
- Ass't Coach at James Madison 2012 - 13
- Coached for Thompson Boat Center's sculling program 2017
- Geospatial Analyst, geography nerd, weightlifts for fun
- Junior at GMU, on Crew & studying mathematics
- Wrestled for John Handley High School
- Loves to cook
- Rowed four years at Oakton (2012 - 2016), 2x Coaches' Award winner
- Freshman at GMU studying Community Health
- Hobbies & Interests: hiking, cats, and recovering from whatever medical ailments are currently impacting her life
- Junior at GMU, coxed for GMU Crew & PW Women's Masters
- Studying Environmental Science & Policy, and Environmental Engineering
- Coached for Riverfront Recapture (Conn.) and PWRC's summer program
- Avid dog-petter & yoga enthusiast
- Junior at GMU, coxes for GMU & president of Crew Club
- Studying Community Health
- Rowed & coxed at Bishop Ireton High School
- Enjoys word games & watching the Washington Wizards